Home Forums Curiosity Community B!t©#, I'm Here For The Story!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  M 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Kiri Callaghan
    Keymaster

So this phrase has been mulling about in my head and I’ve been going over the fact that I really play most games for the narrative aspect. I love being pulled in with this sort of interactive book experience. Or perhaps it appeals to me because it’s the closest thing we may ever have to re-playable theater from the comfort of your home.

So I’ve been mulling over the idea of doing some story-themed videos where we discuss some themes etc and story telling conventions.

Is this a topic of interest and if so, what sort of things would you like looked at/included/discussed.

Kristian

Are we talking writing in specific (sorta like WordPlay), or storytelling, so games, movies, songs and whatnot? I’d be interested to see something like this.

Kiri Callaghan
      Keymaster

Talking about the story arcs etc about games we stream specifically. Kinda after we’ve had time to mull stuff over etc.

Kristian

Ah, makes sense. Well, there’s plenty of stuff in Dreamfall Chapters to dig into. 😀 Like embedding narratives inside each other (is this character awake or not?).

Kristian

You could delve into deconstructing tropes, like damsel in distress and hero’s journey. *cough* Star Wars *cough*

Kristian

Fairy tales and ghost stories, too. You’ve already sniffed around ghost stories a couple of times, but could go more in-depth.

Galforc
    Participant

Ahh, that’d be fun. Certainly be interesting to see all the community’s theories on some of the more grandiose and intricate plot elements of various games.

For a moment, though, I thought you were suggesting Hivemind story plotting. As another scribbler and I have been plotting a campfire-like-writing stream in the near future, that definitely caught my interest…

So would this be a Twitch stream, I assume, following in the aftermath of certain plot-heavy games?

rlckansas
    Participant

Yes! My suggestion would to start with the themes & tropes that interest you, both as a reader/viewer/etc but also as a storyteller. Which ones do you like to include in your creative work? Which ones would you like to try, and why? Which ones did you think you could avoid, but couldn’t (for whatever reason)? I think you might be able to get some interesting discussion going with both your creator hat and your audience hat on.

Simon Ashtear
    Participant

Yes, yes, yes!

I discovered Geek & Sundry, I discovered Nika and Wordplay, and because of that I discovered Twitter, Patreon, and very soon after, you. Storytelling and analysis is something I love.

Sure, you could compare everything to the Hero’s Journey and MacGuffins, but there’s more to games than that. How does a game make you feel? Not what, but how? How does it tug at that heartstring? Example: In the final moments of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, after beating the final boss, the game forces you to pull a trigger and execute someone. Final Fantasy VII had a similar mechanic during an infamous moment.

M
    Participant

I think crit of HOW to have made bad plots better would ALSO be awesome!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.